What Causes Miscarriage?
A woman treats the news of being pregnant with special temptation. A new life begins to develop inside her, which will soon be born and will become the main meaning of her existence for the coming years. However, a miscarriage at an early stage is able to cancel impossible dreams and postpone a successful birth for an indefinite period.
When the miscarriage occurs before 12 weeks of its development in the womb, 1 out of 5 women does not yet know about the upcoming motherhood. This does not make the process of loss less painful emotionally and physically. But after learning about a failed pregnancy and contacting a doctor, a woman can determine the causes of a miscarriage to prevent a similar situation in the future.
Early miscarriage – what does a miscarriage look like?
What does science define by the term “miscarriage”? From the gynecological point of view, this is the process of spontaneous termination of pregnancy up to 22 weeks, when the weight parameters of the embryo do not exceed 0.5 kg. If a baby developing in the womb weighs 500 grams, then doctors can save it and give a premature baby the opportunity for a happy life. If the weight is less than this indicator, then the struggle for the life of a newborn baby is meaningless. As mentioned above, early miscarriage is often not felt by a woman. All she notices is a slight delay in the menstrual cycle and increased blood flow when menstruation occurs, accompanied by serious pain.
Discomfort and painful symptoms can be soothed by taking painkillers and nettle infusion. However, in some cases they are powerless, so contacting a doctor is the only correct solution in this situation. Analyzing the causes of miscarriage, you will surely remember how, along with your monthly period, a plentiful blood clot came out of you. It was it than became the main symptom of spontaneous expulsion of the fetus by the body.
When a clot exits, it is important to see a doctor immediately. After the examination, the specialist will tell you if there are any remains of the fetus inside you. In this case, an early miscarriage requires cleaning the uterus to remove traces of embryo decay from it and prevent the subsequent development of infection.
With a miscarriage up to 12 weeks, a woman’s body seems to give a signal that she is not ready for a full-fledged pregnancy. Or that the parents have health problems that need to be eliminated. Consult a doctor to find out the causes of the pathology. The specialist will conduct an examination, prescribe a set of preventive, therapeutic and supportive procedures, after which it will be possible to start talking about pregnancy and childbirth again.
Causes of miscarriage
Among the most common causes of miscarriage, problems of various etiologies can be noted. Among them, there are:
- Genetic failures – in the presence of a mutating element in the parental chromosomes, the fetus is miscarried from the uterus as incapacitated and contrary to the principles of natural selection of the organism. The manifestation and development of pathology can be influenced by various factors, it is not always possible to determine them accurately.
- Hormonal imbalance – the cause of miscarriage may be insufficient production of the hormone progesterone, or the predominance of male hormones in the female body. At the stage of preparation for pregnancy, such an anomaly is easily eliminated by the use of hormone therapy. Such measures help to avoid spontaneous termination of pregnancy at an early stage.
- Rhesus incompatibility of parents – with a negative Rh factor in the mother’s blood, a similar indicator of the father plays a very important role. With opposite values, early miscarriage is quite possible. If the fetus has a positive Rh factor, then the mother’s body seeks to get rid of the foreign body, trying to miscarry the embryo by any available means. When an anomaly is diagnosed early, the doctor uses progesterone to protect the fetus, which prevents the miscarriage. If both parents have negative indicators of the Rh factor, then the conflict can be avoided.
- Infectious diseases are a negative factor that can cause harm to the fetus and the body of the expectant mother of different effects. In the case of sexual infections, it is better to get rid of them before conception, otherwise infection of the embryo is inevitable. This can cause miscarriage in early pregnancy.
- Inflammatory processes in a woman’s body are also taken into account. An increase in temperature in response to the harmful effects of the disease is often accompanied by general intoxication of the body. This takes away the strength of the fetus, so the body easily gives the embryo without holding it in the uterus.
- Abortions are a rather complicated operation in terms of the strength of the subsequent impact on the female body. Unprofessionally carried out disposal of the fetus can cause miscarriage in the future, as well as lead a woman to complete loss of reproductive function. It is impossible to correct the situation, so doctors, as a rule, communicate for a long time with a woman who has decided to have an abortion in order to convince her to reliaze her plans.
- Medications – the first trimester of pregnancy is famous for the fact that during this period it is strictly prohibited to take any medications. Since vital organs are formed in the embryo, the funds can provoke an anomaly in the development of the child. Herbs are also prohibited during pregnancy: nettle, tansy, St. John’s wort, parsley. Taking them can cause miscarriage.
- Mechanical injuries – during pregnancy it is very important to protect yourself from hard physical exertion and possible mechanical damage. From the first days, fitness classes and other types of physical activity in non-specialized groups are prohibited. In order not to provoke a miscarriage at an early stage, it is better to enroll in specialized sports groups for pregnant women, where the load is precisely calculated and only exercises harmless to the health of the mother and child are used. You can not lift weights, overexert yourself, be subjected to falls, bumps and unsuccessful loads. Even if the mother is full of health and strength, during pregnancy it is better to be careful of careless actions.
Other factors are unfavorable ecology, harmful working conditions, unbalanced nutrition.
There are also causes of miscarriage based on stress, depressive states, nervous moods of the expectant mother. Even at the stage of pregnancy planning, parents should change the usual rhythm of life in order to exclude all negative factors from it. This truth is especially true for women. In order not to provoke a miscarriage at an early stage, she must get rid of bad habits, addiction to coffee, alcohol, smoking. She needs to rest more, get enough sleep, eat properly and rationally, walk more and breathe fresh air.